Hate Crimes Investigations
We are pleased to offer this fully online Hate Crimes Investigations course free of charge for members of law enforcement anywhere. Certificates of completion are available for $20.
For California law enforcement personnel, we offer a version certified by the California California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. The cost of this class is $30 and includes a completion certificate.
This course prepares law enforcement first responders to recognize, document and investigate hate crimes. Students will learn about state and federal hate crime laws, how to support hate crime victims, and hate crimes trends in the United States. The course is inclusive of all hate crime bias motivation types including sexual orientation and gender identity.
The learning outcomes for this course include:
- The student will identify the elements of state and federal hate crimes law.
- The student will identify evidence and indicators of a hate crime.
- The student will explain how to effectively interact with hate crime victims.
- The student will demonstrate how to document a hate crime.
This course reviews, updates, and expands on the content required in the basic academy. It is ideal for civilian and sworn first responders who are charged with taking crime reports that could involve a hate crime. Completion of the basic police academy is not required to be successful in this class. It is appropriate for civilian report takers, though it does include investigative steps that may be beyond the scope of a civilian position.
What Have Students Said About This Course
- It was very insightful on how we should be assessing potential hate crimes.
- I learned a lot of history behind hate & bias crimes, hate crime investigations, & advocacy.
- The best part was learning information about hate crimes that I did not already know.
- I appreciated the various videos to support learning objectives.
- The in-depth explanation of hate crime laws in CA and how to investigate and document hate crimes properly and thoroughly for eventual case submission to the DA’s Office for review and prosecution.
- Very informative on the subject matter.
This course is also ideal for instructors charged with teaching hate crimes in the basic police academy or basic dispatcher course. California law and policy is included in this course, but the activities and exercises are applicable to any location.