Mental Health Survey Results
Last month our three organizations came together to discuss and survey the status of mental health support services available to LGBTQ+ public safety employees. We recognize that even under normal circumstances stress from the job and from being a member of the LGBTQ+ community can be overwhelming and that mental health support specifically for LGBTQ+ public safety members can be hard to find.
To confirm our suspicions, we conducted a survey of LGBTQ+ members of law enforcement, the fire service, and emergency medical services.
We estimate that 10% of the people we invited to participate actually contributed to the survey. The following data represents the input from 87 people.
The good news is that public safety agencies as a whole recognize the need to provide mental health support services. While peer support programs are popular, LGBTQ+ employees more often prefer to seek help outside of the agency. There are very few mental health services available specifically for LGBTQ+ public safety employees.
The survey asked several questions and from those questions we found the following.
- There are many options for accessing mental health services specific to public safety.
- There are some, but not as many, mental health services specific to LGBTQ+ people.
- It’s rare for find mental health services offering support specific to LGBTQ+ members of public safety.
- Overwhelmingly, respondents said that mental health services specific to LGBTQ+ public safety employees is desperately needed.
These results did not surprise us, but confirmed there is a general lack of access to mental health support and that this support is highly desirable.
Resources We Know About
- SAFE CALL NOW * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS) FAITH BASED, BUT LGBTQ+ FRIENDLY
- CODE 9 PROJECT (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- BLUE HELP (L.E. SPECIFIC)
- SUICIDE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT (L.E. SPECIFIC)
- CODE 1 WELLNESS (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCE CENTER (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- THE COLUMBIA LIGHTHOUSE PROJECT (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- REVIVING RESPONDERS * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- COP 2 COP (L.E. SPECIFIC)
- SHARE THE LOAD (FIRE & EMS SPECIFIC)
- HELPFORPOLICE.COM (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- LIFELINE CRISIS CHAT * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (POLICE/ FIRE/ EMS)
- NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE ****NOT PUBLIC SAFETY SPECIFIC
- THE TREVOR PROJECT * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (LGBTQ+ SPECIFIC)
- TRANSLIFELINE.ORG * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (Trans* oriented, but NOT L.E. friendly!)
- THRIVE HOTLINE * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (LGBTQ+ SPECIFIC)
- SAGE (ELDER lgbtq+) * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (LGBTQ+ SPECIFIC)
- GLBT NATIONAL HELP CENTER * HAVE A CRISIS LINE (LGBTQ+ SPECIFIC)